All year long, we look forward to seeing you at our festival of hosting: Airbnb Open. Airbnb Open LA is this year’s gathering of the global host community. We’re eager to meet you there and to learn from your ideas and experiences.
At Airbnb Open, we share experiences at Q&A sessions, informal chats over coffee, and quick introductions that lead to rich conversations. Through these discussions, we gather insights that our team of engineers, researchers, designers, and customer service specialists can use to better plan for the future.
At Airbnb Open 2015 in Paris, we pledged to deliver on a series of improvements inspired by your ideas. Here’s an update on our efforts to turn your feedback into features:
- A profile photo and phone number for every traveler. Travelers are required to provide a valid profile photo and phone number in order to contact you. If a traveler uploads a photo that doesn’t clearly show their face, we ask them to try again. Our goal is to make sure that you’re always able to contact your guests and recognize them when they arrive at your listing.
- Direct messaging in the Community Center. We’ve made 1-on-1 conversations possible all year round through the Community Center, which means it’s easier than ever to share ideas and build new friendships with other hosts. If you meet someone through a discussion thread or at an event like Airbnb Open, you can use direct messages to exchange notes and continue the conversation.
- Custom tagging and new city rooms in the Community Center. We’ve added 18 new rooms to the Cities section of the Community Center, and you can now create tags to label and search discussions. These additions make it easier to find conversations that are relevant to your interests and your local community.
- An introduction to Airbnb for new guests. You told us that first-time guests don’t always understand how Airbnb works. Now, when guests sign up for their first stay, they get an easy-to-understand description of what it means to be hosted by real people in real homes. We’re adding this to help set accurate expectations, which can lead to happier guests and better reviews.
- Making your house rules more prominent so guests are more likely to read before they book. Your house rules are important because they set expectations and let guests decide if your space and hosting style fit their needs. With that in mind, we’ve made your house rules more prominent, so guests read and agree to follow them before they complete their booking.
- Business Travel Ready labels for listings: Qualifying listings are now labeled as Business Travel Ready in search results. This can help your listing stand out to travelers looking for a place to stay during a work trip.
We’re grateful for your creativity, and we hope you’ll find these new features to be helpful. We also hope you’ll join us for this year’s gathering. Airbnb Open LA will take place November 17-19 in Los Angeles, California. The festival will celebrate your hosting with inspiring talks, exciting performances, and one-of-a-kind opportunities to explore LA’s neighborhoods. It’s a special occasion to imagine a bright future for hospitality.
We can’t wait to see you in LA this November!