While canceling a scheduled experience can impact the trust our guests have in booking experiences, sometimes things come up and it can’t be avoided. Whether it’s bad weather or a family emergency, we’ve all been there. Here’s how to cancel and refund your guests without contacting Airbnb directly.
Canceling a scheduled experience
You can now cancel a scheduled experience in just a few steps:
- Go to the calendar on your computer or mobile app.
- Find the instance you need to cancel.
- Press cancel experience. In some cases, you me be asked to tell us a little more.
- Your guests will be instantly notified and fully refunded.
Airbnb Experiences updated host cancellation and weather policies
To help make sure that Airbnb remains a reliable platform for everyone, we’ve also updated the cancellation policy and weather policy for Experience Hosts. Here’s a summary:
- Cancellations can be very disruptive to guests’ plans. Because of this, we may apply a penalty for certain cancellations. Full details of the policy can be found here.
- If you arrange an alternative date or time that works for your guests, no penalty will apply. All guests on the instance must agree to the alternative time.
- We take safety seriously. Hosts can always cancel without penalty if there’s a valid safety issue or an emergency situation covered by our extenuating circumstances policy.
- If your experience takes place mostly outdoors, you may cancel without penalty if weather conditions create an unsafe environment for your guests, or if the conditions would make it impossible to carry out the experience as described.
Here are some best practices for avoiding cancellations, and completing those hard earned bookings.
- If you absolutely must cancel, cancel as soon as you can to give your guests as much notice as possible.
- Consider partnering with a co-host to help run your experience. Many hosts find a like-minded, hospitality-driven co-host to help them with their experiences. Just be sure you clearly outline who may host in your description and that any co-host that you work with has an active Airbnb account. Your guests should know who to expect when they arrive.
- Consider the top reasons you may need to cancel and brainstorm ways you could potentially avoid these situations before they happen.
We hope these improvements make hosting a little easier. We’re working on more ways to make hosting easier for you and your guests and would love your feedback on what other options you’d like to see from Airbnb.