Last night, we activated our disaster response tool in Atlanta, which was hit by a severe ice storm that has left thousands of people without power. If you are a host who can help or if you are in the Atlanta area and need a place to stay, please visit our Atlanta Emergency Response Page.
Last year, we launched a disaster response tool that makes it easy for Airbnb hosts to provide space for people in need when disasters strike. The tool:
- Allows local residents with extra space to host those in need
- Allows existing hosts to donate their rooms for free to those in need
- Makes all Airbnb bookings in areas affected by a natural disaster fee-free
- Emails hosts in the affected area, asking them if they are able to help
- Connects guests to hosts that have space to offer in the affected area via a dynamic landing page
- Provides Airbnb’s 24/7 customer support, Trust & Safety tools, Host Guarantee and other services regularly available to Airbnb hosts
- Provides general disaster response information to guests and hosts
Since then, we’ve launched the tool in London, Sardinia, and Colorado after serious flooding hit these regions, in Toronto following severe ice storms, and in the Philippines after Typhoon Haiyan.
Photo: Dripping Light by Erik Larson, CC BY-SA