Today, the White House announced that Airbnb CEO and co-founder Brian Chesky was named a Presidential Ambassador for Global Entrepreneurship (PAGE), joining a group of America’s most respected business creators who have committed to sharing their time, energy, ideas, and experience to help develop the next generation of entrepreneurs around the world. The members of PAGE are meeting with President Obama today at the White House to discuss how to create an environment where creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurship can grow and thrive around the world. Brian is one of nine new members of the PAGE program, which is chaired by U.S. Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker.
Each member of PAGE has a Signature Initiative, and Brian’s Signature Initiative is building on Airbnb’s recent announcement that it has expanded its global community to Cuba.
“Today, Airbnb is on the ground in Cuba, working within a large, existing network of traditional homestays to promote meaningful contact between Americans and Cubans,” said Brian. “Our involvement there will go beyond home sharing. My personal focus will be to work with Cuban counterparts to increase Internet literacy, while also providing practical education in areas like photography and marketing, and facilitating new payments solutions that will not just help Airbnb, but allow other platforms to come online as well.”
The piloting of these activities in Cuba will become an instructive model for similar initiatives that could be scaled by other communities and organizations around the world, especially in countries that rely heavily on mobile technology as the primary mode of commerce.
The PAGE members are:
- Rich Barton, Founder, Expedia, Zillow and Glassdoor
- Tory Burch, Founder and CEO, Tory Burch
- Steve Case, Chairman and CEO, Revolution, LLC
- Brian Chesky, Co-Founder and CEO, Airbnb
- Antonio Gracias, CEO and Chief Investment Officer, Valor Equity Partners
- Helen Greiner, CEO, CyPhyWorks
- Julie Hanna, Executive Chair of the Board, Kiva
- Elizabeth Holmes, Founder and CEO, Theranos
- Daymond John, CEO, FUBU and Shark Branding
- Daphne Koller, President and Co-Founder, Coursera
- Daniel Lubetzky, CEO and Founder, KIND Snacks
- Ali Rosenthal, Vice President, Strategic Partnerships GoldieBlox
- Debbie Sterling, Founder and CEO, GlodieBlox
- Hamdi Ulukaya, Founder and CEO, Chobani
- Nina Vaca, CEO, Pinnacle Technical Resources
- Alexa von Tobel, Founder and CEO, LearnVest
- Andrew Yang, Founder and CEO, Venture for America
Want to learn more? Watch the event here!
Photography credit: Department of Commerce